Thursday, May 9, 2013

Runner Tips



Every new runner has a barrage of questions, whether it's about schedule, shoes, events, nutrition....you name it. There is definitely a lot more to running than just getting out there and doing it, yet that's all there is to it at the same time. In an effort to corral some of the most popular tips and questions in one place, I figured I'd post a blog I can add to at any time so there's one central place for the tips, tricks, and issues commonly (forgive the pun) runnng through a runner's mind.

Pre-Race Jitters

Most runners, especially new runners, experience some nerves before an event. Whether it's their first 5k or their 10th, there's always that worry that  you'll forget something, won't have a good run, etc. One way to fight the stress is to prepare, whether it's in training, your pre-race meal, or simply packing and double checking your gear the night before. Practice calm, meditative breathing. Remember, you've put in the work and you need to relax to realize the fruits of that hard work.

Run Schedule

Several people say they run every day, but every coach I've talked to and article I've read recommends against this. Running every day will overstress the muscles and joints and can eventually lead to injury which will flat line your running for a long time. Depending on what goal you're working toward, many suggest a basic 3-4 day per week run schedule. I, personally, run one basic 5k at my event pace, one day with speed work intervals (fartlek training), and one long run day. In between those days, I'm at the gym weight training and/or cross training with elliptical or on bike, and I take one day a week where I rest. By rest I mean NO training. I might clean the house, do laundry, run errands, or play with the kids that day... but nothing where I'm pushing my physical limits because your body does need time to regroup.

Toes

Runners toes aren't pretty. They get abused and end up with chipped polish, black toenails, MISSING toenails, blisters, calluses, etc. I have found keeping polish on my toes simply doesn't last. So, for when I'm going out in sandals I try to be prepared. I keep a bottle of red polish on my nightstand and another at my office, so if I throw on some sandals I have a quick touch up available whether at work or home. (I actually wore sandals to the office today then did a quick paint job when I got to my desk).
(not my toes)

Tying Your Shoelaces (Thanks to Runner Academy for this gem of a tip. It has changed how I lace up and since changing my lacing I have never had my laces come undone).

You are out enjoying your run or about to get a new training PR and the next thing you know you look down and those shoelaces have come undone yet again! Frustrating! Thankfully there is something really simple you can do about it – tie them properly.
Most of us learned how to tie our shoes at a young age and likely have thought nothing of it since then. It’s automatic. But if you are doing it wrong you will notice it as a runner.
The Problem: Most people tie an unbalanced knot which is known as a granny knot.
A granny knot is the most common reason for shoelaces to come undone. It is caused when the starting knot and finishing bow don’t balance each other. If your shoelaces are angled across your shoe or even perpendicular you have a granny knot.
You want to tie a balanced knot also known as a reef knot. A reef knot will not come undone when properly tied. This knot will sit sideways across the shoe, and even tightens when you are underway rather than working itself loose. As an added bonus, it looks better than a granny knot.
How-To-Tie-Running-Shoes
The Fix: So how do you tie a balanced reef knot instead of a granny? Quite simple actually.
In fact, you only have to change one step of your shoe tying process for trouble free running! Watch the video below and I will show you how.


No comments:

Post a Comment